Spain-based Mercadona has launched its first Hive in Madrid, expanding the presence for its ecommerce operations. Separately, the retailer is to invest €1.8 bn to implement its 2020 transformation plan.
Reinforcing its online offer
Mercadona has opened its first Hive distribution centre in Getafe, Madrid. The retailer has invested €12m to expand the presence for its new ecommerce model, responding to the high demand for online shopping because of the coronavirus pandemic. Mercadona now operates three Hive distribution centres, in Valencia, Barcelona and Madrid.
The Hive is 15,000 sq. m, with 3,800 sq. m dedicated to fresh products. The retailer expects to reach 30,000 home deliveries by the end of May 2020. It plans to deliver to the Retiro, Salamanca and Méndez Álvaro areas, while it will expand its coverage as demand grows.
Mercadona said it launched the Hive during the pandemic to meet shopper demand. Furthermore, the retailer stated, ‘companies must be a fundamental engine to reactivate the economy and this is one more example of our commitment to the country’.
Mercadona is to invest €1.8 bn in its 2020 transformation plan and will be concentrating on:
- Opening 69 supermarkets in Spain and 10 in Portugal
- Refurbishing 160 stores to its efficient store model
- Adding ready-to-eat counters to 460 stores in 2020, providing shoppers with quick meal solutions
- Continuing to develop its logistics organisation by upgrading facilities
- Developing its digital transformation to optimise its online platform
Retail Analysis newsletter