Dixy news

13 February 2019
Russia’s retail market in 2018 faced stagnant household incomes and food price inflation. This led shoppers to become more economical with their spending. As a result, retailers had to compete more for their share of spend in groceries, which has led to a slowing in real sales growth rates. We look at the 2018 full year results and highlight how the leading Russian retailers managed in the fac...
24 January 2019
Dixy, Bristol and Red & White have decided to merge their retail networks. The combined business is expected to generate revenue of over RUB650bn (US$9.8bn) and operate over 13,000 stores at the end of 2019. The owners of Dixy and Bristol, Igor Kesaev and Sergey Katsiev, will take a 51% share in equity, with Red & White owner Sergey Studennikov holding the remaining 49% stake. Merger places pr...
31 January 2018
We attended the Magnit Roadshow in London on 29 January for its 2017 full year results announcement, following our store visit in December 2017 . We discussed with Magnit’s CFO, Khachatur Pombukhchan, and Deputy CEO for Network Development, Sales & HR, Ilya Sattarov, Magnit’s performance in 2017 and strategy for 2018. Magnit 2017 results weaker than previous year Magnit’s performance...
19 January 2018
As X5 and Magnit face a small drawback in their growth plans for the beginning of 2018, Lenta met their forecast, whereas Dixy faced closures in 2017. X5 Retail Group cannot open more stores in St. Petersburg X5 faces competition authority restriction in St. Petersburg as it surpasses the 25% market share in that city following the acquisition of 37 Okay supermarkets . X5 exceeded the ...
06 December 2017
As Lenta announces investment in its private label ranges and supply chain and Dixy looks to add further in-store services to drive footfall, we round up developments from Russia. Lenta focusing on private labels… As part of an interview in Lebensmittel Zeitung, Lenta’s chief executive, Jan Dunning, has said the retailer sees private label as a key strategy to support its position in the co...
13 July 2017
From the launch of the Magnit Pharmacy banner to the expansion of online grocery channel, IGD looks at the latest developments in Russia's grocery retail market. Magnit launches pilot pharmacy banner Magnit opened four pilot stores under the banner ‘Magnet Pharmacy’, two as stand-alone units and two as shop-in-shop units within Magnit hypermarkets. The stores will stock 3,500 SKUs and are...
29 June 2017
X5, Magnit, and Dixy will expand their store offer in 2017 with the addition of instore pharmacies across their network. Such a move is expected to drive footfall, broaden shopper mission for their customers, and raise average basket spend. This will be due to the expanded assortment of health and beauty and consumer health products and the relatively higher ticket item spend that comes with thes...
13 April 2017
Top Russian retailers Magnit, X5, Dixy, and Lenta reported double-digit sales growth in 2016. We look at what’s driving this and provide our outlook for 2017. Magnit store expansion drives sales growth as like-for-like stagnates Magnit opened almost 2,000 net new stores in 2016 to drive a 13.1% increase in sales revenue. But the Russian retailer closed over 450 stores and reported a 0....
14 October 2016
In this update, we look at what has happened at retailers across the region in the third quarter of 2016, including market entries & acquisitions, new store concepts, online & technology developments, loyalty enhancements and new appointments. MARKET ENTRIES & ACQUISITIONS Albania –  SPAR has opened its first stores in the country in partnership with Balfin Group, making Albania the 4...
16 May 2016
Challenging economic situation in Russia, especially in regions, has affected revenue growth of the market leader Magnit. In the meantime X5 Retail Group has benefited from the new Pyaterochka store concept as well as stores network which has been developed mainly in large cities. Magnit most affected Magnit has reported sales growth of 16.6% to RUB 254.4 bn (USD4.25 bn) in Q1 2016. Company...