Conad is a leading retailer in the Italian grocery market, operating a multiformat portfolio in eight cooperatives across Italy.
The retailer also has a small number of stores in Albania, China and Malta.
Conad’s vision is to become ‘an association of independent retail entrepreneurs that fully meets customer expectations and has a primary economic and social role in the country’.
1. Convenience: concentrating on proximity formats
2. Distinctiveness: building a strong and clear identity and bringing value and distinctiveness to products
3. Loyalty: through increasing innovation, quality and safety
- Conad offers over 3,500 Conad brand products.
- Conad has introduced an instore growing unit to grow and sell 'micro-vegetables'.
- Premium and healthy-eating product categories have been increased to include more bio, eco, vegan and fair trade products.
- Supermarket stores also offer household utensils, tools, and household appliances as well as clothes and accessories.
2. Private label:
- Conad will invest €35m in its private-label range.
- Current private label ranges include; Conad, Conad Essentiae, Conad PiacerSi, Conad Alimentum, Sapori & Dintorni, Verso Natura and Conad Percorso Qualita.
- The Alimentum brand was adapted to include only gluten-free and lactose-free products.
- Conad PiacerSi was divided into two new sub-categories "Better for you" (lean and /or light foods) and "Functional fortified" (foods supplemented with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants etc.).
- A beauty care line was developed under the private label Conad Essentiae.
3. Price and Promotions:
- Pricing policy is decided at a cooperative level meaning prices differ between regions.
- Conad invests over €30m in a multi-channel promotional campaign every year.
- Average store size of 4,684 sq. m with an assortment of 16,000 to 19,000 SKUs.
- Conad hypermarkets are only present in Italy and offer a wide selection of brands and products.
- On average, Conad City stores are 332 sq. m in size and offer from 4,500 to 5,500 SKUs.
- On average, Conad supermarkets are 796 sq. m in size and offer from 7,000 to 8,500 SKUs.
- On average, Conad Superstores are 1,772 sq. m in size and offer from 10,500 to 12,000 SKUs.
- Margherita stores offer a quick daily shopping experience with an assortment of 1,500 in an average store space of 316 sq. m.
- Sapori & Dintorni Conad stores aim to promote the excellence of Italian food, offering from 3,000 to 4,000 products in an average store space of 467 sq. m.
- Todis discount stores are only present in Italy and offer an assortment of 5,000 to 7,000 SKUs.
- The average Todis store sales area is 531 sq. m.
Find out about the key trends in grocery retail in Italy and how Conad, as a leading retailer, develops within the market, here.
- Operates over 50 Conad City convenience stores.
- Operates more than five Conad Supermarket stores.
- Operates all formats; almost 1,000 City stores, over 1,000 supermarkets, more than 200 Conad superstores, over 20 hypermarkets, over 400 Margherita stores, over 200 Todis discount stores, almost 20 Sapori & Dintorni stores as well as more than 150 other points of sale with different signs.
- Operates over five Conad Supermarket stores.