In 2018 we’ve seen revolution, in payments and staffless stores. And we’ve seen evolution, as retailers enhance stores to make them more relevant to the shoppers of today and tomorrow.
Throughout the year we have been tracking these developments, innovations and trends. To help you, we have brought together our best-read insights to give you our view of how global grocery retailing is changing.
- In our trends report at the beginning of 2018 we highlighted five trends we expected would develop and shape the global retail market this year. While these will remain relevant in the medium term, we have just published our 2019 version to help you prepare for next year
- Our global store visit programme took in more than 925 stores in 43 countries. It enabled us to see some of the most interesting and innovative stores. Amazon Go, Albert Heijn, Hoofddorp, Netherlands, Tesco's Jacks from the UK, 7-Eleven, Singapore, Target, Minneapolis, USA and Carrefour Pro, Warsaw, Poland caught the most attention from our clients
- We have tracked innovations on a global basis throughout the year. Our innovation research has highlighted developments likely to benefit and affect grocery retailing in the medium term. P&G thinks inside the box with new Tide Eco-Box, Waitrose is trialling DNA-personalised food choices and Alibaba’s robotic restaurant generated a lot of interest
- Given they are the growth channels in most regions globally, we have looked in-depth at online grocery retailing and discounters.
- Finally, we continue to look in-depth at the strategic developments and outlooks for the world’s largest retailers. The snapshots on 38 of these companies remained popular with those looking to keep up to date with their progress. Our strategic outlook reports on Amazon, Walmart and Ocado were amongst the most read.
Learn more about 2019’s global retail trends: join our webcast
24 January, 10am GMT/11 am CET, 30mins
Listen in and ask your questions | IGD future thinkers, Toby Pickard, Vanessa Henry and Chris Irish, will discuss the global retail trends we expect to see in 2019, from the viewpoints of retail innovation, grocery shoppers and supply chain.
Register for free »
If you have a specific business challenge or training requirement we can put together something just for you.
Get inspiration, innovation and insight. We’ll help you see the most innovative stores and understand what key retail trends mean for your business.