Alibaba is celebrating its eleventh 11.11 Singles Day. We have been tracking the latest updates and developments. Here are the key highlights as the world’s largest global one day online shopping event.
Summary and key highlights
- Total GMV recorded during the day CNY268.4bn (US$38.3bn), up 26% from last year
- Total number of delivery orders reached a new high at 1.292bn, up 24% from last year
- US$1bn in sales in just 68 seconds of the event starting
- Sales of CNY158.31bn (US$22.6bn) in the first nine hours
- GMV exceeds CNY213.5bn (US$30.4bn) surpassing 2018 11.11 at 16:31:12
- Delivery orders exceed 1.042bn, surpassing 2018 11.11 at 18:31:00
- Nearly 30 television channels and other platforms such as Alibaba's Youku streamed the count down, which featured Taylor Swift and many local Chinese celebrities
- 299 brands reached CNY100m in GMV, including Apple, Nike, Estee Lauder and Giorgio Armani
- The top 10 countries selling to China through Alibaba’s cross-border platforms were Japan, the U.S, South Korea, Australia, Germany, France, U.K., New Zealand, Italy and Canada
Livestreaming helped drive sales
The story behand a brand is very important to Chinese shoppers. Livestreaming allows shoppers to learn about new products shop immediately for the products they see on the livestreaming platform. More than 17,000 brands began livestreaming on the first day of pre-sales across multiple categories, for example, beauty, fashion, home appliances and cars.
Green initiatives post 11.11
Cainiao has announced that November 20 will be ‘National Cardboard Box Recycling Day’. The event is timed to follow 11.11 Singles’ Day shopping. The company will turn its 75,000 delivery outlets into recycling hubs, and customers will be able to earn bonus ‘green points’ in Alibaba’s Ant Forest sustainable living program.
11.11 outside of Asia...
Outside of Asia, 11.11 also had a presence. In Spain, a key European market for Alibaba, for example, AliExpress gave hundreds of Spanish brands the opportunity to participate and reach shoppers throughout Europe. Some of the participating brands included; Aquilea, Cantabria Labs, Carbonell, Casmara, Cinco Jotas (Osborne Group), Dicora Urban Fit, Frit Ravich, ISDIN, Repavar and Xhekpon.
Timeline of 2019 11.11
18:31:00 - Delivery orders surpasses 2018 11.11
The number of delivery orders exceed 1.042bn, surpassing the total of 2018 11.11
16:31:12 - GMV surpasses 2018 11.11
Total GMV for the 2019 11.11 Global Shopping Festival exceeds CNY213.5bn (US$30.4bn) surpassing the total GMV of 2018 11.11
16:00:00 - GMV exceeds US$30bn after 16 hours
10:18:00 - More than 812m orders delivered
With more than 812m orders delivered, it has surpassed the total number of deliveries in 2017.
10:04:49 - GMV exceeds that of 2017 11.11
GMV for this year's 11.11 reached RMB168bn (US$24bn) after 10 hours.
The top five imported product categories bought by Chinese customers so far are:-
1. Food supplements
2. Facial masks
3. Infant and toddler milk powder
4. Make-up, skincare and facial products
01:20:00 - First order delivered
In just 80 minutes of placing her order, a shopper in Malaysia received her purchase from Lazada -- a Samsung Galaxy A70, delivered at 1.20am.
01:00:00 - First hour results
Total GMV of US$12.01bn achieved in the first hour. US$12bn flowing through Alipay within the first hour.
00:01:08 - total GMV exceeds US$1bn in 1 minute
Last year's Singles Day - 2018 11.11
Generated CNY213.5bn (US$30.7bn) in gross merchandise volume (GMV) in just 24 hours.
Alibaba has invested an additional CNY23.3bn (US$3.3bn) to increase its stake in Cainiao Smart Logistics Network from approximately 51% to about 63%.