During 2018, we believed there were five trends that would become more prevalent within the global food and grocery industry, and we would see retailers introduce numerous initiatives to address these trends.
The five trends were:
- Fulfilling stores – stores would act as online fulfilment centres and offer a more exciting and fulfilling shopping destination
- Leading in lifestyle – retailers and manufacturers would focus on helping shoppers live healthier lifestyles
- Premiumising private label – retailers would enhance their private label offering
- Becoming hyperlocal – retailers would offer products tailored to the local tastes from local suppliers
- Delivering the goods – last mile delivery solutions will become increasingly important
This report reviews our predictions based on developments we have seen in the market since the beginning of 2018.