Morrisons has opened a third Market Kitchen fresh food takeaway concept at its Edgbaston supermarket in Birmingham. The launch follows the opening of Morrisons first standalone Market Kitchen store in Manchester in August.
Market Kitchen is a unique concept providing shoppers with all day access to fresh and healthy chef- prepared takeaway meals. Staffed by a dedicated team recruited from foodservice backgrounds, Market Kitchen differentiates through the quality of food it offers, while costs are kept low by using a limited number of ingredients in different ways and taking advantage of Morrisons unique vertically integrated fresh produce supply chain.
New features for Market Kitchen Edgbaston
The store takes forward successful elements of previous Market Kitchen stores and introduces new features in line with Morrisons test and learn approach to the format. Key features of Edgbaston include:
- ‘Char & Smoke’ – serves breakfasts from 7am and then freshly grilled dishes, served in a wrap, salad or rice bowl
- ‘Bird & Baste’ – serves freshly basted and roasted chicken (New for Edgbaston)
- ‘The Hot Pan’ - offers a different dish every day from risottos, paellas and Korean fried rice to Baltis (a wider choice than at Manchester to serve a diverse local community)
- ‘The Soup Kitchen’ – serves freshly made vegan soups
- ‘Vegetarian Crock Pots’ – offers tagines and curries (Creating a broader choice of meat free options than earlier versions of Market Kitchen)
- ‘Milkshake & Waffle Shack’ – offers milkshakes made from milk, ice cream and a choice of confectionery as well as wafflepops
- Barista bar offering fresh coffee and pastries from 75p
- Fresh pasta – served with a freshly made sauce
- ‘Pizza by the Metre’ – Customers can choose a full metre for £10, or shorter lengths from £3.50
As at Manchester customers can order from Edgbaston Market Kitchen through the Deliveroo app or website, for delivery in 30 minutes. Normally this incurs a charge of £4.50, though the fee is waved until the end of November.
Commenting on the launch, Head of Morrisons Market Kitchen, Hannah Nunns said: “The chefs use our fresh Market Street ingredients to create delicious seasonal meals for customers that are made to order. It means that customers can pop in and pick up their next meal while also buying the groceries they need for future meals”
Morrisons sees opportunities to bring Market Kitchen to more locations. The concept will be launched at Morrisons Camden store in the new year.
More insight for Retail Analysis subscribers